May 22, 2011

Popol Vuh!

Due to my penchant for celebrating all holidays, I am reading the Popol Vuh. The Popol Vuh is the Quiche’ Mayan creation story. (Mmm, primary sources! My inner nerd glows with that new-school supply feeling.)

I suggest you read primary sources, to form your own opinion, before everyone else tells you what to believe. My goal is to read the entire Bible, Qur’an, and Upanishads.

I’m starting with the Popol Vuh, because 2012 is fast approaching! According to the Mayans, that is when the world may end. The Mayans had multiple, complex, and overlapping calendrical traditions, about the universe dying and being reborn.

I am no expert yet, but I plan to share inspiring excerpts, or parts that resonate with other cultures, as it is still one of my main goals to show the similarities between arts and beliefs of distinct cultures. I welcome your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment